Monday, October 1, 2007

Watch Out!

So basically the beauty products we use can be toxic. It made me pay attention when I realized whatever I use on my skin can be absorbed into the blood stream...these chemicals we use and are marketed to us are causing cancer, birth defects, premature aging etc.
and MOMS- watch out what you use on your babies...the USA has only banned eight ingredients from cosmetics while the European Union has banned 1,000.
the fda can declare something natural if only 3% of its ingredients are natural.that means the other 97% can be synthetic chemicals.
Heres what I found in my bathroom cabinet...
My cocoa butter lotion contains petroleum which is suspected to carry contaminants as well as to increase premature aging.
My body wash also contains petroleum and sodium lauryl sulfate which is not toxic but is a synthetic chemical known to irritate the skin. This was also found in my "dermatologist approved mild cleasner"
Most products contain parabens which are linked to breast cancer and tumor growth. 13,000 FDA approved beauty products contain parabens.phthlates are also common and are almost undectable because they are in the fragrnce and so don't have to be listed. This can affect sperm and adult male infertility....which as for women carrying baby boys should concern us!
Many of the ingredients in our beauty products are cheap fillers. Even inmy "expensive" salon 20.00 a bottle shampoo, the first ingredient was sulfer laurel sulfate- what a rip off! These same chemicals are found in pesticides,toliet bowl cleaners, tire cleaners, and furniture stripper. YUK!
If that doesn't gross you out here is a list of FDA approved material for use in our cosmetics and beauty products:
turtle oil
chicken embyo
horse blood
pigskin
human placenta
pig brains
cow amniotic fluid....

2 comments:

The LaBouffs said...

That's just disgusting! I need to look into that further! How about cost? Is it more expensive to do what you're doing?

Hillary said...

WOW! That's definitely an eye opener. I have also heard bad things about our cleaning products. I've heard you can clean most things with vinegar and water, but vinegar smells nasty. I'll bet lemon would work, too. It might be something to look into, also.