Friday, December 7, 2007

Whats is a name?

I have always been fascinated with names.It is usually the first thing we get to learn about someone we meet. It often carries with it a family tradition or a story. When I was pregnant with Roman I couldn't fathom the responsibility that came with naming a son. I scoured baby name books and the bible. I prayed and sought wisdom...I knew I wanted something bold and strong.I wanted something with a meaning that he could grow into...a story he could learn.. With this next pregnancy I wanted no different...a future warrior for Christ would need a bold name, I thought...

I have been studying the name of Jesus this week. This name that we call upon in prayer,..for healing..in despair...and in praise...the name that is above all names..., Jesus. I always cringe when I hear someone misuse this name....the name that is so powerful..the name that could move mountains for them if only they knew....

In biblical culture names were chosen for meaning or for prophetic reasons. Jesus was named "savior" because he was to save people from their sins. I love that in biblical times Jesus was a common name...HE did after all come to save common people...like me.

Do we really understand the power that is in the name ,Jesus? I think too often we tack it onto the end of a prayer or say it when we are supposed to. But when we have faith behind it and in it..the name,Jesus, enables us to live a life with power and purpose.

The early church was hoppin' with activity. healings and exorcisms heappening all over the place. I believe that these early Christians knew and understood the power in HIS name..and they used it...they released faith in this name and they experienced miracles because of it......

The name of Jesus- I have never experienced anything more powerful than His name. It is the name above all names (phil 2:11). There is life in HIS name (John 20:30-31).. It is the name that has the power to save (Acts 4:30). I get chills knowing that one day every tongue will confess His name..(phil 2:9-11)...Jesus !

No comments: